Friday 2 September 2016

Welcome to Grade 2

Welcome to Grade 2! I am so excited to be your child's this year! This is my 3rd year at St. Anne and my 11th year of teaching.

This blog will be used to communicate about what we are learning in our class as well as keep you informed about upcoming events.

Homework will be assigned through a shared calendar developed with the entire grade 2 team at St. Anne. It is recommended that each child complete the homework tasks each day to complement what is happening in the classroom. There are also a variety of programs and apps that we will use to help students practice their Math and Language skills. There will be more information about these apps in the next few weeks.

We had a very eventful day on our first day of school. We started by creating shapes out of playdough, drawing a picture of it in our scrapbook and then writing about our shape. We also sorted out the supplies and did a scavenger hunt of the classroom. The school supplies will be kept at school. The Kleenex, ziploc and glues sticks will be shared and the students will keep their pencils, pencil crayons, erasers, and highlighters in their desk. Those who brought earphones can also keep them in their desk as well. 

In the afternoon we collaborated to create structures out of pipe cleaners and paper clips. Students were asked to describe their structures. 
I made a springy thing. I made a snail.

We made a zip line together.


This is a tree


I made a caterpillar. I twisted them together. 


This is a spring but I did more. I made a connection on it. 

We also finished the afternoon by reading the story "In my Heart" and drew how our heart felt on the first day as well as write a sentence about how we feel right now. It was great to see the children express the variety of emotions they felt from sad to excited to happy to silly. It was a great first day and I know there will be more to come.








No comments:

Post a Comment